Does it feel like everyone around you is coupled, and you are still the girl showing up alone at parties? Have you been trying to date and pin a guy down for what seems like forever, with little to no success? Or have you been having experiences in romance that start off as amazing but eventually fizzle out to nothing? At some point in her romantic life, every girl has wondered and worried about ending up alone forever. Every girl can get the boyfriend of her dreams, but dating today and getting a boyfriend today is nowhere near what it used to be. If you want to know how to get a boyfriend all you need to do is follow some of these tips.
- You have to love yourself first. It’s an age-old mantra that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but if you don’t love yourself first, you can’t expect anyone else to either. We live in an age where a low self-esteem epidemic is raging high, and many women try to skip this step. Signaling to men that you are amazing is much easier when you believe it yourself.
- Know what you want. You aren’t going to meet the guy of your dreams if you don’t know what he “looks like” in terms of qualities and standards. Set a list of “non-negotiable” aspects of your perfect boyfriend, and when you are dating, you will be able to weed the wrong men out faster. Too many women today are settling on the first guy who will keep dating them, and they wind up abused, abandoned and heartbroken as a result. This won’t happen if you require the right nonnegotiable qualities in that perfect guy.
- Don’t expect perfection. You aren’t perfect, so you can’t expect any guy to be, either. Love is about loving someone with their flaws, not until their weaknesses show. When you put your own weaknesses out there and risk the pain and heartache, you will be surprised at how attractive you become to men who won’t date women who are too busy seeking perfection.
- Smile more. And mean it. We live in an angry, grumpy world, so the people who seem the happiest, nicest and most attractive to others are the ones who don’t feed the angriness and grumpiness of the world. When you smile at men, and mean it, they will be ten times more likely to notice you than if you just looked the other way. This tip also sends the message that you are easy to be with and don’t sweat the small stuff, and that makes you prime girlfriend material.
- Put yourself out there. You aren’t going to meet him in the basement of your mom’s house while you are complaining about not having a boyfriend. Put yourself in places (hint, not clubs or bars) that are more likely to have the kind of men you are interested in. Sign up for a cooking class, join a co-ed yoga group or take a biking adventure course. Whatever you imagine yourself doing with your future boyfriend, do it with you first and set the wheels of attraction in motion.
- Let go of the past. You don’t need couch time with a doctor to do this; you just need to … let it go. Everyone has baggage coming into a relationship, but if you go into one expecting him to carry yours, you will wind up single again. Learn from your lessons and previous teachers in love, and then put those old files away for good. You won’t have room in your heart for someone else if it’s full of old garbage you keep clinging to.
- Stick to your standards. Men find this incredibly attractive—at least, boyfriend-material men do. Once you meet the guy who meets your list of non-negotiable qualities, stick to that list. When a man meets a woman who knows what she is worth and won’t settle for less, he wants to be with her … more.
We live in a day and age of instant gratification, and this has taught many women that getting a boyfriend is easy if you make yourself easy as well. But all good things in life take work and effort, and what is worth having is worth waiting for if you give yourself that self-respect first. Confidence is at the top of every man’s list of “the perfect girlfriend,” so mastering this step will help all of the others fall into place. Your knight in shining armor is not going to come to your door—you have to prove to him that you are worth the wait that he is undergoing right now too.